Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

BLUEBERRY CORN SALAD AND AN UNUSUAL AVERSION




Warning: Portions of this story may gross you out ;)


Blueberry Corn Salad: Tastes as good as it looks! | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Have you officially closed the book on summer?
Before you move completely on to fall

I hope you'll put up with one more summer recipe.

I was salivating from the moment I saw this recipe for Blueberry Corn Salad  
in the July issue of Better Homes and Gardens,
I didn't have a chance to make it until the end of August.

Blueberry Corn Salad: Tastes as good as it looks! | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
I served the salad as an accompaniment to turkey burgers. 
Oh, my, my, MY!  
The combo of the sweet grilled corn and blueberries,
with a lemony dressing, was delicious! 

Pretty, isn't it? 

Blueberry Corn Salad: Tastes as good as it looks! | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

 Unless you are feeding a crowd, you may want to cut this recipe in half.
That's what I did, because there's just the three of us,
plus, I knew Junior Goo Shoes wouldn't go near it.
(If you can't stomach stories about vomit,
this is your cue to scroll right down to the recipe).


Blueberry Corn Salad: Tastes as good as it looks! | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


He's got a thing about blueberries, thanks to, uh, me.

Years ago, when Junior GS was a little boy,
he woke us up in the middle of the night, saying he didn't feel well.
A minute later, he "tossed his cookies," (or, er, as I later realized, his blueberries). 
In the dim light, I thought he vomited up huge amount of blood.
To say I freaked out is an understatement.
I was shrieking, "Call 911!!!!" and within minutes, 
there were two policemen standing in Junior GS's bedroom.
By that time, we had turned on the light and could see that it wasn't blood at all, 
just blueberries.
While I was enormously relieved, I was also a little embarassed........ 
and Junior GS was likely going to be scarred for life when it came to blueberries.

As you might guess, he didn't eat them for years.
About a year or two ago, he decided to give blueberries another try. 
I videotaped that momentous occasion, and it was HILARIOUS, 
but I'm not allowed to show you (JGS likes his privacy).
Even though he's eaten them again, he's still a bit wary,
so he passed on the Blueberry Corn salad.     

Blueberry Corn Salad: Tastes as good as it looks! | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

By now, I'm pretty sure I've ruined your appetite.
Nothing like telling a story about puking
and then supplying a recipe about said cause of retching.
Sorry about that.
Maybe it's a good idea to pin this, and save it for later, 
once the memory of this story fades a bit. 

So, yes, about the salad.
I was tempted to open some canned corn, 
due to my severe case of the "lazies" when it comes to cooking.
I didn't, which was a good thing
as the grilled flavor really enhances this dish.  

It's a pretty impressive dish to serve for company,
but easy enough to whip up just for the family.


Blueberry Corn Salad: Tastes as good as it looks! | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

BLUEBERRY CORN SALAD
(Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens)

1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup  chopped fresh mint
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
8 ears fresh corn (grilled)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
4 cups fresh blueberries 

1. In screw-top jar combine 1/2 cup olive oil, lemon juice, mint, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and shake until combined.
2. To grill corn, pull back husks, but don't remove. Remove silks; rinse corn. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Fold husks back around corn. Tie tops of husks closed with 100-percent kitchen string. 
3. Grill corn on rack of covered grill directly over medium coals for 20-25 minutes or until kernels are tender, turning occasionally. Remove and cool. Cut kernels from cobs. 
4. In a large bowl, combine corn, berries, and dressing. 
Makes 8 servings.  


Blueberry Corn Salad: Tastes as good as it looks! | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

This is going to be a staple on my summer menu from now on.
In fact, if you invite me to your house for a barbecue or picnic,
there's a good chance this is what I'll bring. 
But, I'll try to refrain from telling the story about Junior GS and the blueberries 
while everyone is eating it.  
Linking With:
Best of the Weekend




13 comments:

  1. Ok, this looks seriously amazing....despite the accompanying story, I will be pinning to try in the future!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty and timely Amy! There's tons of fresh corn available, and I've got containers of frozen blueberries. I'll be pinning this too!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy, this salad is so different and sounds good! I wonder if you could use frozen or canned corn for this recipe?
    Thanks for sharing at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.
    Enjoy the week.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is still HOT here, but we have mentally turned the page on Fall...you know, the pool closed and school has been back in session for nearly a whopping month. Still, it is too hot for butternut squash soup and WAY too early for Pumpkin Spice, so I think I will give this recipe a go! I would never in a million years think to make blueberry corn salad. I'm so intrigued!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting combination! I may have to try this but with imported blueberries....all the local fresh ones are gone. I have a similar story about throwing up with my son but it had to do with M & M's. He has gone on to live a healthy life eating M & M's whenever he wants to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must admit, this dish is one that I've never heard of and sounds strange to me. But, I'm from the south, so maybe that's why. Ha! I probably have a limited food palette compared to you. I don't blame Jr. Goodshoes for not giving it a try. Ha Ha! I like blue berries and corn separately. Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had a similar experience in Mexico many years ago when I cooked something with balsamic vinegar and Joel spent the night kneeling at the toilet or lying on the floor near it (we are bearing our souls here, aren't we?) It took years before he could even smell balsamic vinegar, but also has been cured! Great post! Most revealing!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is hilarious. That salad looks amazing. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What a neat combo! YUM!

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Amy, I featured this awesome recipe at our Monday Cooking and Crafting with J & J Link Up. Thanks for sharing your talent with us.
    Enjoy the week.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a delightful combo! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't imagine that scene when he police came and you realized it was blueberries. I know not funny but it is funny, you know? I will be making t his for sure next summer. Thanks for sharing.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.